Wednesday, September 2, 2009

MEMORIES OF THE BUAH KOLONG TREE

The tree on the left is common in Kuching and my old house used to have at least a few growing around it. I still remembered the old Kolong Tree, growing on the left side of the house, near the old long kang. It was at least 3 storeys tall and used to bear fruit,some as big as a cricket ball. Amazingly, crunchy, sweet and sour and it goes well ,eaten with a mixture of soya sauce, chilli and sugar. It can also be pickled and were often sold at entrances of cinemas and wayang.

I often climbed the tree as high as I could, to reach the young shoots and fruits too. I had a fair share of falls and encounters with catepillars,bees,birds and others stinging insects. When in season I remembered spending hours plucking the fruits with my family members,putting them in basket and packing them in plastic bags to deliver them to friends and relatives FOC. The KAMPONG SPIRIT is really great and giving and receiving little gifts is a norm in those days.

My last visit to Kuching this year the old Kolong Tree is not as prosperous and is barely 10 feet tall as the trunk had rotted away and there was much less activity.
The main killer is the filling up of the drain by construction work around the house by my neighbours which deprived the tree off nutrients and water. It is still alive but GOD knows for how long.
When I see Buah Kolong any where in this world, it will definately triggered memories of this amazing chapter of my journey on earth. I must be thankful to the tree for giving me many things and provided me with among all, the chance to exercise and grow, plus exposure to the wisdom of nature.
I MUST SAY A BIG THANK YOU to this amazing tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment