Tuesday, June 23, 2009

THE REAL MEANING OF COMMUNITY WORK


Last night, I was given an opportunity to sit in and learn at the "Meet the people session" at my MP's weekly session. The atmosphere was friendly and hectic too. I was glad that I had this chance to see the other side of community work. It was neither glamorous nor over bearing but it clearly proved to me, the main reason, why our SINGAPORE is so great. What a gracious government we had and how hard our MPs and community leaders worked to better the lives of her citizens. Into the depth of the night, they are still working hard, trying to sort out the complicated issues of others while the rest of the people can sleep in peace and worry less. This burden is not theirs but they took it as theirs.
The maze of life is amazingly complicated with many choices to make and their consequences. After 4 hours at the session, I was convinced that the main purpose of this sessions was to provide an avenue for people in trouble and help by lending an ear to their problem,providing alternative views and solution for them,explaining to them their situation, from a third party and trying to solve their problem in the way they wanted. The main aim was to give them HOPE and Lead them to a better life. From complicated family troubles to those affected by the financial crisis,the solution is not simple but I see most people leave with a lighter heart and a ray of hope. With SMILES and THANK YOUs, they leave with the hope that the world will be more favourable to them tomorrow.
To the MP and community leaders their reward is the satisfaction that they tried to make a difference to someone's life and hopefully for the better.
I left last night with a sense of pride,gratitude,contentment and joy for I am living in the best country in this HUMAN WORLD. The MP and her aides are still hard at work when I left at 12.20am. My only hope is that I can learn quickly and continue to contribute to this great and caring SINGAPOREAN society. MAJU LAH SINGAPORE!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment